Juice/Smoothie 24 Cleanse
Recently I completed a 24-hour juice cleanse. Lately I’ve had some pain in the ball of my left foot, so much so that I don’t bear my weight on it when I walk. I’ve also been experiencing some pain and inflammation in my other joints. I know that my health issues are diet related and although switching to a vegan lifestyle has helped drastically, I still haven’t pin pointed the actual cause of my symptoms.
I was due to run a half marathon this weekend, but my doctor suggested that I have an x-ray of my foot. She worries I could have a stress fracture which would cause me to be out of running for 6 weeks! While the thought of not running for that long concerns me, I almost rather the pain be a running related injury as opposed to arthritis related.
With all the pain I have been enduring recently, I decided it was time for a cleanse and a juice detox is a great one for ridding the body of toxins.
Here is the menu of my 24 hour detox:
Mixed Berry Smoothie
- 2 bananas
- roughly 3/4 cups of frozen mixed berries
- about 1/2 cup of water (this is based on your preference of consistency)
- 6 ice cubes
- protein powder of your choosing, I use Vega
combine ingredients in a blender.This is a recipe I use post work out. It’s a great way to get in some protein to help build muscles.
Carrot Cake Snack-A-Roo (from the Cool Smoothies Book)
- 1 cup orange juice- I made my own with a juicer to cut out the sugar content
- 1 6 ounce vanilla yogurt-I used whole soy
- 3/4 cup baby carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut-I used unsweetened while the recipe calls for sweetened.
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey, I used 1 tablespoon of agave
- recipe calls for 1 whole graham cracker, I didn’t have any but I am sure it would make this recipe even better!
- optional-1/4 cup slivered almonds for garnish
Blend ingredients together and add 1/2 cup of ice and blend.
Chocolate Super Food (recipe from Baltimore Health Coach)
- 1 heaping teaspoon of cocoa powder or cocoa nibs or both! I use cocoa powder
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 cup almond milk or water- I used soy milk by accident, I meant to grab the almond. I choose milk over water because I wanted something heavy enough to keep me full.
- 1/2 banana
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon of goji berries
- 1 teaspoon spirulina
- 1/2 teaspoon maca root
- 1/2 teaspoon bee pollen for those that are not vegan. Flower pollen may be used as a substitute. Blend ingredients together.
I was curious about the outcome of this recipe as I have tried similar recipes before and wasn’t too impressed with them. I must say, this was delicious. A healthy and tasty smoothie. I had to throw a few ice cubes in my drink to chill it so I recommend adding 4 or 5 cubes to your blender.
A mix of tea from Teavana I just love their tea, it’s so flavorful and offers a ton of health benefits. The two teas I mixed together were Blueberry Bliss, a rooibos tea and Pineapple Kona Pop, an herbal tea.
Spiced Apple and Butternut Squash Juice (from the Complete Idiot’s Guide to Juicing)
- 4 apples
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 1 carrot
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 apple wedges for garnish
Clean apples and cut into sixths. Peel squash and cut into 2-inch cubes. Scrub carrot, cut off top and cut into 2-inch lengths.
Push apples, squash, and carrots through the juicer. Mix the juice and divide into two classes. Add 1/4 tsp of nutmeg and cinnamon to each class. Serve immediately and garnish with apples if so desired.
By the end of the day, the pain I have been experiencing in my foot for the past few weeks was nearly gone. The next day I ate some food with gluten in it and my pain returned.
I am beginning to believe I have an gluten intolerance and will begin to eliminate it from my diet.
My experience through this 24-hour detox is proof that foods heal!
Try it out and Happy Juicing!